District NCD Cell was started in Padmakunwarba Hospital in year 2012 with the objective to prevent and control NCDs through behaviour and life style changes, early diagnosis and management.
Various programs are functional under the umbrella of District NCD Cell are:
- National Program for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Cardiovascular diseases, Diabetes, CVDs and Stroke (NPCDCS)
- National Program for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)
- National Program for Prevention and Control of Deafness (NPPCD)
- National Mental Health Program (NMHP)
- National Oral Health Program (NOHP)
National Program for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Cardiovascular diseases, Diabetes, CVDs and Stroke (NPCDCS)
- For providing outpatient care, NCD clinic was established at P.K. Hospital, Rajkot. Through NCD clinic, various services are provided like:
- Health promotion of patients by the counsellor regarding healthy foods, regular exercise, avoidance of tobacco and alcohol, stress management, regular health check-up etc.
- Opportunistic screening of target population (age 30 years and above) for diabetes, high blood pressure and common cancer (breast, cervical and oral) by staff nurse and medical officer
- Diagnosis and treatment facilities for non-communicable diseases (like diabetes, hypertension, CVDs, CKDs, Stroke, COPD, Cancer etc.) and comprehensive examination of patients referred by lower health facility are available at NCD clinic and referral facilities for suspected cancer patients to tertiary care centre are also available.
- Public private partnership is also done with private diagnostic centres for different investigations like 2D Echocardiography, Mammography, HbA1C, Lipid Profile, Thyroid Pane (T3, T4 and TSH), CK-MB, electrolytes, Troponin-I etc.
- For generating awareness in the community, advertisement of the program is done through local TV channels and Radio channels and various posters and hoardings of the program are spotted in the hospital campus and pamphlets for awareness regarding different NCDs are also available.
- In order to provide cardiac care, 4 bedded Cardiac Care Unit (CCU) is also established under NPCDCS and emergency services for Myocardial Infarction are also available.
National Program for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)
With the objective to provide easy access to preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative services for the elderly, NPHCE program was implemented by District NCD cell, Rajkot.
Package of services provided under NPHCE are:
- Regular dedicated OPD time identified for geriatric patients during which priority given to geriatric patients.
- Physiotherapy clinic established to provide rehabilitative care to the elderly patients.
- Supportive devices like walking sticks, walkers and knee caps are distributed to the elderly persons to make them ambulatory.
- Ten-bedded, elderly friendly geriatric ward is established for in-patient care of elderly.
- Services are provided to the cases referred from CHCs/PHCs.
- Referral services for severe cases to tertiary level hospitals.
- For creating awareness in the community, advertisement of the program is done through local TV and radio channels.
National Program for Prevention and Control of Deafness (NPPCD)
Hearing loss is the most common sensory deficit in humans today. NPPCD was launched with a purpose of early identification, diagnosis and treatment of ear problems responsible for hearing loss and deafness in them. Various services available under the program are:
- Early diagnosis of ear diseases and also identification of hearing loss by ENT surgeon in out-patient services.
- Audiological services are provided through audiologist.
- Instructor is providing training, therapy and early education for the young hearing impaired children.
- Major and minor surgical facilities are available.
- Awareness activities regarding prevention of ear diseases and hearing loss through healthy ear and hearing care practices.
National Mental Health Program (NMHP)
National Mental Health Program (NMHP) is implemented to address the huge burden of mental disorders at Padmakunwarba Hospital, Rajkot.
- Mental health out-patient services are provided by psychiatric doctor.
- Camp based out-patient services are also provided at PHC/CHC level
- In-patient services are also available for critically ill patients.
- Health awareness activities at PHC/CHC level to improve health seeking behaviour for mental health.
National Oral Health Program
National Oral Health Program is started with the objective to get improvement in the determinants of oral health and to reduce morbidities from oral diseases. Various services for oral health available are:
- Routine dental screening in Outpatient Department
- Management of cases referred from CHC and PHC
- Various routine treatments like restorations, extraction, RCTs etc. are available.
- Treatment of precancerous lesions and minor surgical procedures are also performed by dentist.
- Referral to higher centre for complex treatment is available